- Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes

- Cheapest Auto Insurance Finder

- Compare Auto Insurance Quotes

Washington Auto Insurance Requirements

Washington auto insurance laws, minimum requirements and regulations. We help to find cheap auto insurance in Washington.

Washington Insurance Laws

The state of Washington requires all drivers to provide the minimum mandatory liability auto insurance on any registered vehicle in the state. This insurance must be obtained through an authorized insurance company which has received approval from the state of Washington.
Failure to provide proof of insurance can result in fines and a misdemeanor charge.

No vehicle will be registered in the state of Washington without proof of the minimum liability auto insurance. The minimum liability auto insurance coverage in Washington is $25,000.00 of bodily injury insurance for each individual, $50,000.00 for two or more injured people and $10,000.00 for property damage. You are not required to carry Personal Injury Protection or PIP insurance. Any auto insurance policy purchased in Washington must include the minimum liability amounts.

You must carry proof of insurance with you at all times. Uninsured and underinsured motorist is not required by Washington law but the insurance company must offer you the option to purchase this coverage when you buy your minimum coverage. They may even suggest that you carry underinsured and uninsured coverage as well as carrying more than the state required minimum liability policy. Should you choose not to forge the underinsured and uninsured option, you will have to sign a paper stating that you turned down the coverage. Likewise, Comprehension and collision coverage is not required by the state of Washington.

Keep in mind that the state of Washington is a Torte state. This means that any individual determined to be at fault in an accident will also be held responsible for all personal injuries and damages. This includes lost wages, and personal suffering. This is the reason your agent will suggest higher coverage than the minimum requirements.

Every motorized vehicle on Washington roads must be covered by the minimum liability coverage. This law also applies to rental vehicles. Your insurance policy usually covers rental vehicles. The credit card you use to rent the car may also cover the insurance on the vehicle. If this is not the case, you will have to purchase the minimum liability auto insurance policy from the rental car company. This coverage will be about $7.00 to $14.00 per day. Be sure to carry the rental agreement in the car at all times. This is your proof of insurance should you be involved in an accident or get stopped for a traffic violation.

If you are involved in an accident or experience any type of traffic stop in the state of Washington, the police officer will request proof of insurance. You must have the proof of insurance with you even if you are not at fault.

You must obtain the minimum insurance before you register your car. You will not be allowed to register your car without proof of insurance. There is no wait time allowed for you to insure your vehicle. Off-highway vehicles and non-operational vehicles do not require the minimum liability auto insurance.


The penalties for not carrying current minimum liability auto insurance in the state of Washington include fines, and possible misdemeanor charges. Do not lie to the state about your insurance coverage. You will be charged with a misdemeanor. The fine for not having the proper insurance coverage is $450.00 or more.

Proof of Insurance

Your proof of insurance should be kept in the car at all times. This proof needs to be and insurance identification card. This card will include the name of the insurance company and the policy holder’s name, and the policy number. It also needs to have the make, model, and year of the vehicle being covered on it. The vehicle’s VIN number and the dates of coverage which would include the effective dates and the expiration date.